Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Borrowed Orly Spam

Thank you to everyone who purchased from my blog sale! I was quite surprised at how fast most of the polishes were sold. There are still a couple items left, and I've highlighted them in blue text so they are a bit easier to see. To those who paid on Saturday, I have already shipped your packages out today. For those who paid on Sunday, I will be shipping them tomorrow!

A couple weeks ago, Noelie (from Noelie's Nails) and I did a "swatch swap". We each picked 8 polishes from each other's spreadsheets, and exchanged them (temporarily!) so we could swatch them! I choose mostly Orlys from her stash, so I'm going to show you those today.

Orly Lollipop - Good formula, but not as great as some other Orlys. It leans towards the purple/lavender side on me. I've already purged OPI Panda-monium Pink and Lucky Lucky Lavender, but I think this would have been somewhere in between those two.


Comparison: Orly Lollipop vs. Essie French Affair - I have very few pastel pinks remaining, so here is the Orly compared to Essie French Affair.


Orly Frisky - This is a very vibrant blue, almost turquoise leaning. I think this was 2 coats (I should really make notes while I'm swatching rather than relying on memory, huh?)


Comparison: Orly Frisky vs. Essie Greenport - I really thought I would have something close, but I don't!


Comparison: Orly Frisky vs. Essie Greenport, Turquoise & Caicos, Orly Gumdrop - Seriously, Frisky is surprisingly unique!


Orly Ancient Jade - Beautiful formula again! Nice colour.


Comparison: Orly Ancient Jade vs. OPI Mermaid's Tears - When I picked up OPI Mermaid's Tears, people were saying it was dupeish to this Orly. I had to see for myself. I do not think they are dupes. The OPI seems dustier to me. I'm glad I didn't buy this, because then I would be agonizing over which one to keep. It's much easier to resist buying it knowing how close they are, though :p


Comparison: Orly Ancient Jade vs. Essie Greenport, Turquoise & Caicos - Some more comps to help you get an idea of what the colour is like.


Orly Royal Velvet - I didn't buy this myself because I was highly suspicious that it would clash with my skintone. So I borrowed it from Noelie to confirm this :p It's not as bad as I'd imagined, but I don't think it's particularly great on me (though it is an amazing polish!!)



Comparison: Orly Royal Velvet and Zoya Ki - not that they are similar, but Ki is another duochrome, so why not.


Orly Wild Wisteria - 2 coats, great formula! I wanted to see how close this was to Zoya Pinta.


Comparison: Orly Wild Wisteria and Zoya Pinta - I heard these were exact dupes, but I think the Zoya is a tiny bit bluer. Both are nice. Again, I'm glad I didn't buy the Orly and have to choose which one to keep :P


Orly Luxe - I've already shown you this in the OPI Glitzerland post, but I should probably keep this with the rest of Noelie's polishes! This is an amazing pale, gold foil. Two coats and totally opaque. I fell in love with this, said so when I posted these pics on NB, and Noelie generously told me to keep it!



Comparison: Orly Luxe vs. OPI Glitzerland - Just to remind you, the Orly is only 2 coats, and the OPI is 4 coats :'( I actually slightly prefer the colour of Gliterland, but not enough to endure two additional coats :p


I have two more polishes I need to show you, but I'll save those for the next post!

Big thanks again to my nailbed-twin, Noelie! I had a great time swatch-swapping!

24 comments:

  1. Am loving the Wild Wisteria-that color's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does frisky compare with snow cone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I had so much fun doing this too! It's interesting that the comparison of Ancient Jade and Mermaid's Tears is keeping you from buying Ancient Jade, because that's the EXACT thing keeping me from buying Mermaid's Tears, lol. =) Frisky is a unique snowflake in my collection too. I really thought I'd have something close, but I really don't. I flipping adore that color so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are on totally different planets :D?

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol we are two sides of the same coin, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such great swatches! i wanted to order some Olrys and this is very very helpful! Thank you!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love Royal Velvet and Wild Wisteria! They're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice comparisons!  I'm kicking myself for missing some of these... 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome comparisons. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love me a good orly polish! I actually don't own any of the ones you swatched but most of them are on my want list...
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was at the mall last week and was choosing bet Ancient Jade and Royal Velvet. I ended up picking royal velvet bec of the duochrome and Ancient Jade looks a bit blah in the bottle. But on your nails, wow! I'll definitely go back and buy that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ancient Jade is the prettiest turquoise green ever, and Luxe is the best gold foil ever. My Orly addiction cost me a lot of money :-D Thanks to you gorgeous swatches now I need the Orly Frisky cutie. What a gorgeous sky/turquoise blue. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the comparisons! Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! Luckily Orly is not as expensive as OPI :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to own more Orlys too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! I think I want practically every single one of these Orly polishes here!  I was at Ulta the other day, had several of the ones you're showing here in my hans, then walked out with only 2 Butter Londons....big mistake! Guess I'll be making another shopping trip!  Thanks so much for these AWESOME swatches!!  

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for visiting, Eugenia! I absolutely adore your blog. If you do pick up these Orlys, I hope you blog about them, so I can see what you think of this cheaper brand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. awesome! I just got wild wisteria today. Love the swatch I did. I wondered how it compared to OPI Sapphire in the Snow? I am glad to know it is a dupe for Pinta!
    I love the idea of the temp exchange! I would love to do that with a blogger as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are Orly Ancient Jade and Orly Gumdrop similar? They aren't pictured together but the pics of each of them look really close.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kellie. From what I can remember, Ancient Jade was very much green, while Gumdrop had sort of a Tiffany's blue going on. Gumdrop is also a bit more pastel. I don't own either anymore, though! haha

    ReplyDelete